Help & Support

Government Help With Prescription And Other Health Costs

There are a number of government provisions which may be of help to patients and to their families, including Medical Exemption Certificates, prescription prepayment certificates, tax credits and travel costs reimbursement schemes. Some of these are means-tested whilst others are universally available.1-4
In order to claim some of these provisions, you and your doctor will need to complete and sign a Medical Exemption Certificate.3,5,6,7

Charities & Patient Organisations

Patient organisations are patient-focused, not-for-profit organisations which provide support and guidance to patients and carers. Their websites contain a wealth of information, and many also provide a helpline where you can ask questions and receive advice on specific issues. Most can also be reached through social media.

Some patient organisations also act as patient advocacy groups, advising policy-makers on health policy and care decisions. Others raise money to fund medical research.

UK-Based Charities

The advice provided by these organisations should be consistent with prescribing guidelines in the UK. These are independent organisations who will be able to provide support, and are not affiliated with Neuraxpharm


Helpline: 01494 601 400


Helpline: 01342 831342


  1. Welsh Government. Low income scheme: help with NHS health costs.
    Available from:
    (accessed 15 Dec 2020)
  2. Scottish Government. Help with health costs: information booklet.
    Available from: (accessed 15 Dec 2020)
  3. Nidirect Government Services. Help with health costs.
    Available from: (accessed 15 Dec 2020)
  4. NHS. Help with health costs.
    Available from: (accessed 15 Dec 2020)
  5. NHS: Medical Exemption Certificates (Accessed June 8 2021)

  6. Scottish Government: Medical Exemption Certificates. Available from: (Accessed June 8 2021)

  7. Welsh Government: Free Prescriptions. Available from: (Accessed June 8 2021)

This information is provided as a resource for patients who have been prescribed Buccolam by their doctor or other healthcare professional.

Reporting of adverse events (Healthcare Professionals in the UK)

Adverse events should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at: or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. Adverse events should also be reported to Neuraxpharm. at: